Literature has the power to move us, inspire us, and make us think. The words of iconic literary figures can capture the essence of the human experience in a way that few other mediums can.
From timeless classics to contemporary works, literature is home to some of the most memorable and powerful quotes that have stood the test of time.
In this blog post, we invite you to discover the power of words with these iconic literary quotes.
Whether you're a seasoned bookworm or just starting your literary journey, these quotes are sure to inspire and move you.
We'll explore the deeper meanings behind literary quotes and how they can be applied to our lives today.
So, grab a cup of tea, settle into your favorite reading book, and join us as we delve into the world of literature and the power of words.
The enduring relevance of literary quotes: how words written long ago can inspire us in today's world
Literary quotes may have been written long ago, but their power and relevance endure in today's world.
These quotes can still provide us with insight into the human experience, inspire us to be our best selves, and guide us through difficult times.
The themes explored in literature - love, loss, perseverance, and hope - are universal and timeless, and can be applied to our lives today.
For example, a character's struggle in a classic novel may remind us of our own struggles with mental health or relationships.
Quotes offer us a sense of connection with the past, as we recognize the same human experiences and emotions that have been present throughout history.
Additionally, these quotes can provide us with a fresh perspective on contemporary issues, offering a way to look at things from a different angle.
Overall, the enduring relevance of literary quotations lies in their ability to remind us of our shared humanity and offer us guidance and inspiration in our daily lives.
Discover the hidden gems: fun and surprising facts about your favorite literary quotations
- "To be, or not to be, that is the question." from Hamlet by William Shakespeare is often misquoted. The correct line is actually "To be, or not to be: that is the question."
- The title of Ernest Hemingway's novel For Whom the Bell Tolls comes from a line in John Donne's poem "No Man is an Island." The line reads, "And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee."
- The famous quote "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" from A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens was actually a reference to the French Revolution, which Dickens believed was both a time of great hope and great despair.
- The phrase "Catch-22" from Joseph Heller's novel of the same name has become part of everyday language, but many people may not know that it was inspired by a real military regulation during World War II that stated a soldier could only be excused from duty if he was insane, but if he requested to be excused because of his insanity, it proved he was sane.
- The iconic line "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others" from George Orwell's Animal Farm is a satirical take on the concept of equality. Orwell uses this line to highlight the hypocrisy of those who claim to champion equality but end up creating a new hierarchy in its place.
Best literary quotes that will inspire, motivate, and move you
Words have the power to move us, inspire us, and motivate us to be our best selves. The best literary quotes have endured for generations, captivating readers with their timeless wisdom and profound insight into the human experience.
Whether you're looking for inspiration to achieve your goals, motivation to push through tough times, or simply a beautiful turn of phrase to uplift your spirits, the world's greatest writers have something to offer.
In this section, we've compiled some of the best literary quotes that will inspire, motivate, and move you. So sit back, relax, and let these timeless words stir your soul.
Beyond the cliché: 8 inspirational quotes that will make you see life differently
Some of the world's greatest writers have penned lines that have become iconic and have the ability to move us long after we've put down their books.
These inspirational literary quotes provide us with insight into the human experience, encouraging us to push through tough times and reminding us to appreciate life's simple pleasures.
Here are eight of the most inspirational literary quotes that will move you to live your best life:
- "The only way out is through." - Robert Frost
- "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison
- "Believe you can and you're halfway there." - Theodore Roosevelt
- "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." - Albert Camus
- "We know what we are, but know not what we may be." - William Shakespeare
- "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt
- "The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
Valentine's Day quotes that will make your heart flutter
Valentine's Day is a day to celebrate love in all its forms. Whether you're spending the day with your significant other, friends, or family, sharing words of love and appreciation can make the day even more special.
In honor of Valentine's Day, we've compiled a list of 7 quotes that are sure to make your heart flutter and your literary Valentine’s cards memorable.
These quotes that can be included in literary Valentine’s cards, from some of the most romantic writers and poets, express the beauty and power of love in ways that will leave you feeling inspired and grateful for the love in your life.
- "I have waited for this opportunity for more than half a century, to repeat to you once again my vow of eternal fidelity and everlasting love." - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- "I love you, not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- "Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it." - Nicholas Sparks
- "I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close." - Pablo Neruda
- "Love is not about possession. Love is about appreciation." - Osho
- "A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - L. Frank Baum
- "You are my heart, my life, my one and only thought." - Arthur Conan Doyle
Spread joy with literary greeting cards and stickers from Footnotes Paper: elevate your gifting game
Ready to take your greeting card game from bland to grand? Look no further than Footnotes Paper!
Our collection of literary greeting cards and stickers will have your loved ones laughing, crying, and feeling inspired all at the same time.
Get bookish with our top picks for literary cards and stickers
Don't be a party pooper - get the witty asapiophobe definition card that defines it as the fear of lack of intelligence in others!
This is sure to get a few laughs at your next gathering, and it's the perfect way to let your friends know that you're smart and they should probably watch what they say around you.
The aayhan definition card defines it as a bittersweet moment of mourning and joy.
It's a moment when we remember someone we loved who is no longer with us, and at the same time, we feel happy that they are now in a better place.
With cards featuring hilarious puns, uplifting messages, and quirky designs, you're sure to find the perfect one for any occasion.
And don't even get us started on our sticker collection - it's so good, you'll want to stick them everywhere (no seriously, we mean EVERYWHERE).
From water bottles to laptops, these stickers will add a personal touch to your everyday items that will make you smile every time you see them.
Vintage book with daisies
If you know someone who loves literature, then getting them the vintage book with daisies sticker is the perfect way to celebrate their passion.
Stack of classic novel books
If you're a lover of all things literature, then there's no better way to honor your love for reading than by getting your hands on the stack of classic novels book sticker.
So why settle for a boring greeting card or plain old stickers when you can choose Footnotes Paper?
Upgrade your gifting game and show your loved ones just how much you care with a little help from the witty and wonderful folks at Footnotes Paper.
Want to take your gifting game to the next level? Don't forget to include the literary quotes shared in this blog on the blank interior of these greeting cards from Footnotes Paper!
Whether you're celebrating a special occasion or just want to show someone you care, these cards are the perfect way to do it.
And once you've created your masterpiece, don't forget to share it with us on Instagram by tagging @footnotespaper!
We love seeing how our customers use our products to spread love and inspiration in the world.
So, what are you waiting for? Get creative and let your literary genius shine with Footnotes Paper greeting cards!